![]() |
| The old Sultana museum (Picket photo), Gene Salecker with model and a still from film abouit the disaster |
The late Tom Coba’s production apparently never enjoyed widespread distribution, but he did leave
behind two models of the Sultana. The actual vessel exploded and caught fire in April 1865, killing about 1,200 people. Hundreds
of Federal soldiers, many recently freed from Confederate prisons,
including Andersonville and Cahaba, were on their way home.
Sultana
author Gene Salecker worked from the remains of those boats to create new
models, one of which was the star at the Sultana Disaster Museum in Marion,
Ark., before the museum closed two months ago as a larger, permanent venue is
built a few blocks away.
A giant version of the doomed vessel will be the centerpiece of the new museum. “People will be able to actually walk up onto the recreated deck and see our actual 1842 steamboat engine (right) and a display on the fateful boilers, as well as other featured displays,” said Salecker, who has purchased numerous artifacts for the museum over the years.
Museum executive
director Jeff Kollath said Salecker’s model, which was disassembled recently,
will be placed in the main area, too. Salecker will put it back together in
October, a month ahead of the museum’s grand opening.
“People can
see pictures or drawings of the Sultana, but can only imagine what it really
looked like,” said Norman Shaw, a
founder of the Sultana
Association of Descendants and Friends. “With Gene's large model, they can examine one up
close. Also get an idea (of) how it operated.”
History is
fortunate a photograph of the overloaded Sultana, taken shortly before the
disaster, survives.
| Blue tape in the gym shows shape of new Sultana model (Gene Salecker) |
I asked
Salecker to talk about the Sultana models and how they have been used.
His responses have been edited and ordered for brevity and context.
Q.
Did you build the model? If so, when did you build it and why?
I built the
existing model during the summers of 2013 and 2014 while I was still teaching
and had the summers off. However, the foundation of the model came from someone
else.
The 14-foot model (actually, two of them) were the brainchild of Tom Koba, of Berlin Heights, Ohio. Tom was an independent filmmaker who had worked with the state of Ohio on a couple of Civil War documentaries
I met Tom at the Ohio Civil War
Show in Mansfield after my 1996 book was published. Tom bought a copy and was instantly hooked on the story. He
would come to the show each year and pick my brain, hoping one day to make a
documentary on the Sultana.
![]() |
| Scenes from filming in 2000, of survivors and fiery water (Courtesy Gene Salecker) |
Tom hired a
couple of retired gentlemen to build him the two 14-foot models. One was to be
detailed and the paddlewheels could move by radio control. He planned to run
this on a river near his farm and take shots of the crowded boat going up the
river. The second boat was not as well detailed and was meant to be exploded
and burned.
At one of
the Sultana Association
reunions, Tom came and showed a few of us the finished "rushes." He
was getting ready to edit the scenes when he unexpectedly died in 2007 at age
61.%20Tom%20Koba's%20Sultana's%20waiting%20for%20a%20home.%20Right%20side%20view..jpg)
Original Sultana model several years after film production (Gene Salecker)
In about 2012, I got a phone call from (his companion and business partner) asking me if I wanted the two 14-foot models. They had sat on her mother's front lawn, covered by a blue tarp .. . near Lake Erie. I rented a U-Haul truck and went and brought the two models back to my house in River Grove, Ill.
(The Picket
contacted the business partner and will update this if she responds to
questions about the project.)
In the summer of 2013, I moved the best model into my shed and began stripping off the old paint and mold and preparing it the way the Sultana had actually looked. It took me two summers and a lot of work but I completed the first model and brought it down to Marion for the grand opening of the interim museum in April 2015 (photo above).
Q.
What materials are primarily used? How much of the original models were used?
A. I primarily used cedar and balsa wood. I also used
chairs, spittoons, door handles, buckets, barrels, etc. from scale
dollhouses.
![]() |
| Model that greeted museum visitors for 11 years awaits reassembly in new venue (Gene Salecker) |
Q.
How did you/the builder come up with the specs and design?
A. All of the information about the Sultana (size, number of
boilers, etc.) came from the January and February 1863 Cincinnati newspapers,
which were reporting on the building of the Sultana. In 1979, I was working as a draftsman and
drew up blueprints of the boat. No steamboat was built by blueprints so there
were no existing prints for the Sultana.
When someone wanted a new boat built, he went to the boat builder, gave him the
measurements he wanted and etc., and the boat builder went to work. Steamboats
were pretty standard.
![]() |
| Click on this 1865 panorama of St. Louise to see Sultana at center-right (credit below) |
(Photo above: Courtesy Herman T. Pott National Inland Waterways Library at the University of Missouri-St. Louis)
Q.
Tell me about the second model you built.
A. I used the best of the two (Koba) models to build the one that was displayed in the Interim museum. A few years later, I used the second model to build an "after the explosion" model which has only been put on display once -- at the 2021 kickoff of the fundraising for the new museum. I had to make an exact duplicate of the first model and then strategically wreck it.
I tried to use as much of Tom's original model in the second one (above, courtesy Gene Salecker), also. However, since I had picked the best pieces from both models when I made the first one, there weren’t much undamaged pieces left. Of course, I used the hull and some of the decking but most of it had to be handmade to an exact match of the first model. That was the hard part -- being exactly like the first model except for the ruptured middle of the boat. The stern, the bow, the paddlewheel boxes, everything had to be exactly the same.
Fortunately, I took hundreds of photos as I worked on
the first model so I used those as reference for the second model... and I made
sure that I kept my measurements of everything.
(Editor's note: There is no room in the gallery for the "after the explosion" version, which is in storage in Marion, Kollath told the Picket.)
Q.
How has the model added to the story of the Sultana?
A. Melody Walker of the interim Sultana Disaster Museum used to say that the two things everybody photographs when they come to the museum is the many names on the Memorial Wall and the 14-foot steamboat model. People like to look at the model to get a better understanding of what the Sultana looked like. They can see how difficult it would have been for a soldier to leap from the top hurricane deck into the crowded water 25 feet below.
![]() |
| Photograph of the Sultana near Helen, Ark., a day before tragedy on the Mississippi (Library of Congress) |
As they say, a picture (or in this case, a model) is worth a thousand words. It is a great educational aide in helping to explain the tragedy of the Sultana.






No comments:
Post a Comment