In late April, U.S. Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-GA) introduced H.R. 5152, which would adjust the boundary of Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park to include the Wallis House and Harriston Hill.
The eight acres containing the house and hill are owned by Cobb County. The house was the headquarters for Union Gen. O. O. Howard in mid-June 1864, and the hill behind it was used as a Federal signal station.
According to the Georgia Battlefields Association, additions to existing battlefield parks are rare. The bill stipulates that the added land must come through donation or exchange.