Today I am thinking of Antietam, for Sept. 17, 1862, always makes me circumspect about its significance. The outcome laid the groundwork for the Emancipation Proclamation and the reunification of this country. I think, also, of all those lives lost and shattered on the fields of western Maryland at Sharpsburg.
• Updates throughout the day from battlefield
• Picket archives: Burnside the bumbler
• Then and now photos of Bloody Lane, elsewhere
• The serenity of Dunker Church
• Lessons we've learned from Civil War medicine