Thursday, September 17, 2009

What battlefield do you most want to visit?

I’m sure all of us have one battlefield or Civil War site we’ve been wanting to see for years.

For me, it’s Vicksburg.

And while I’m at it, I’d love to drive part of the Natchez Trace.

Vicksburg was such a huge win for U.S. Grant, coming just when Gen. George Meade and the eastern Federal army won at Gettysburg.

Both Union victories were complete by July 4, 1863.

Grant showed the doggedness and resourcefulness that would serve him well as he wore down Gen. Robert E. Lee & Co. around Richmond.

Any trip to the Mississippi River is good. Besides the battlefield, I’d love to see the antebellum homes and gardens in Vicksburg. I just haven’t had an opportunity to get to that part of Mississippi.

Tell me. What one unvisited battlefield is at the top of your roster?

No comments:

Post a Comment