Monday, February 1, 2010

MIA: I've misplaced (lost!) paper written by Yankee soldier in 1864

If I weren't sitting down while writing this, I'd be kicking myself.

I've spent several hours trying to find something very precious to me. I have on weathered writing paper a Union soldier's handwritten copy of the lyrics to a sentimental song written during the Civil War.

Charles Carroll Sawyer wrote "Who Will Care for Mother Now?" in 1863. It became a maudlin hit among soldiers.

Many years years back, my northeast Missouri grandparents gave me a bag of old letters, bills and papers that once belonged to a neighboring family.

Most were addressed to a John Jones.

Among the papers was the now-missing sheet of folded paper. It is dated in the summer of 1864 in Resaca, Ga., site of a major battle a few weeks before. The ruled paper includes an embossed seal from some Federal unit. I couldn't believe I had a piece of paper that was written by a homesick soldier in enemy territory.

I did a little research 15 years or so ago and put the lyrics away for safekeeping. Or so I thought. I've looked all over the house for it.

No luck.

I will keep searching and kicking myself. For now, here are the lyrics:

Who Will Care for Mother Now?
(Charles Sawyer)

Why am I so weak and weary?
See how faint my heated breath,
All around to me seems darkness,
Tell me, comrades, is this death?
Ah! how well I know your answer,
To my fate I meekly bow,
If you'll only tell me truly,
Who will care for mother now?

cho: Soon with angels I'll be marching
With bright laurels on my brow;
I have for my country fallen,
Who will care for mother now?

Who will comfort her in sorrow?
Who will dry the falling tear?
Gently smooth he wrinkled forehead?
Who will whisper words of cheer?
Even now I think I see her
Kneeling, praying for me! How
Can I leave her in anguish
Who will care for mother now?

Let this knapsack be my pillow,
And my mantle be the sky.
Hasten, comrades to the battle
I will like a soldier die.
Soon with angels I'll be marching
With bright laurels on my brow;
I have for my country fallen,
Who will care for mother now?

No comments:

Post a Comment